Public/Private good of HE: Launch Follow-Up

The HECI Forum Public/Private good of HE: Launch Follow-Up

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of HPerks HPerks 22/03/2015 at 12:29. This post has been viewed 56557 times

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HPerks
    HPerks
    Keymaster
    • Topics started: 2
    • Replies: 1

It was so encouraging to hear everyone’s positive feedback after yesterday’s launch! We are hugely grateful to our fantastic panelists, Prof. Miriam David, Prof. Gregor McLennan and Prof. Sir Eric Thomas, who gave a really stimulating discussion led by our chair Prof. Richard Pettigrew. Thanks too to everyone attending!

What a shame we had to cut our discussion short.

Oh wait! We can continue it on here. All comments/thoughts/ideas are welcome.

Profile photo of lbatt
    lbatt
    Keymaster
    • Topics started: 1

I was really impressed that such eminent individuals were gathered together on a panel.

I thought the discussion picked up towards the end, though I would have liked to have seen more serious disagreement (who doesn’t like fireworks?). But nonetheless, the discussion picked out a lot of serious issues, and though no real conclusion was clear, I light was shone on issues through facts and perspectives. That’s good and important.

I also thought the group discussion bit at the end was a bit of a highlight. It was really nice to cut down the barrier of being strangers at a talk and realise we all listened and have concerns in common. It wasn’t anywhere near as awkward as I thought it’d be!

My only criticism or suggestion of the night would be to next time organise microphones, as it was a little difficult to hear the speakers and audience questions at times.

Overall, I thought it was a befitting launch event for HECI.

Profile photo of HPerks
    HPerks
    Keymaster
    • Topics started: 2

Yes, I agree that it was difficult to hear everyone at times – we did actually ask for microphones but that fell through. Thanks for the feedback!

To mitigate the microphone issue, here’s a link to a mind map we’ve put together summarising the main points of discussion (raised both by panelists and members of the audience):

https://atlas.mindmup.com/2015/03/df80a160b2b6013231ca3af4c38bbcf0/heci_launch/index.html

Any thoughts and comments? I know regionalism is a controversial one!

Should we make universities focus on attracting students from their own localities, rather than the whole country? Would this eliminate national-level competition and the limiting league tables? Or would it limit people’s mobility? Would it strengthen links between universities and cities they’re based in?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.